Sunday, November 6, 2011

More Tests, and God Bless You

Gee, it seems like just yesterday that I had a bunch of tests, and now again.  Fortunately I got As on my Spanish test and Science test.  The class as a whole didn't do too well on the Science test.  2 As, 3 Bs, 2 Cs, 7-9 Ds, and 13 Fs.  I actually thought this one was much easier than the first one.  And I did really study for it.  The other person who got an A was also an older person.  I think when you go to school as an older person, you're more serious about your grades.  I just took a math test, though, and I'd consider myself lucky to get a B.  I don't know what happened.  The material was hard for me, and my brain froze during the test.

I've changed my mind about the difficulty of my classes.  Spanish is definitely the most difficult for me now.  Learning a new language is tough.  Science is the next most difficult.  Math is... well I hope it gets easier after that test, but I fear that it will get even more difficult.  I still don't know what to think about Interpersonal Communication.  We don't have any homework now, but we have a test next week.  It will be an essay format, just to see if we've been paying attention in class.  I do have my notes.

Sneezing.  "God bless you."  Is that what you say?  There seems to be a certain protocol when saying something after someone sneezes in class.  Personally, I usually only say "bless you" to someone who sneezes when they are right near me.  It seems awkward across the room.  Most people seem to follow this rule.  But some do occasionally shout across the room.  I dunno, I think that's kind of awkward, as if you're drawing attention to a person's loud sneeze.  But I guess if no one nearby says, "God bless you," then somebody's got to do it.  And do you say, "God bless you, "Bless you," or "Gezuntite" (I'm sure I spelled that wrong, but you know what I mean.).  I say "Bless you."  "God bless you" seems a little too wordy for me.  and the other word, well I think it's German, but since I can't even spell it, I probably shouldn't say it.

I believe this tradition started long ago with the mythical belief that when you sneezed, demons were coming out of you.  I guess you would want to bless such a person.  But on the whole, it seems like a nice little polite tradition, and one that college students practice studiously.  Somehow the classroom allows for it.  I'm not sure that I would say "Bless you" to a complete stranger on a train, but maybe at college I will learn that kind of courage.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This design is incredible! You obviously know how to keep a reader entertained.
Between your wit and your videos, I was almost moved
to start my own blog (well, almost...HaHa!) Great job.
I really enjoyed what you had to say, and more than that, how you presented
it. Too cool!

Also visit my homepage chestfatburner.com